Bacteria has a natural weakness! Would you be shocked to learn it is a precious metal and used for over a thousand years? SILVER as a natural antibiotic and antiseptic, is it true?
We know the herb kingdom holds many secrets in the fight against infection and bacteria but a metal? That is UNBELIEVABLE! Right? I know I was shocked to hear it. Perhaps I was living under a rock! I must have. This has been around a lot longer than me!
First records go back as far as 400 BC. I may be old, but not quite that ancient! Hippocrates was one of the first to describe the powers of silver as an antimicrobial. It was not just a myth or lore to ward off werewolves and vampires, but a real element to fight genuine infections.
Before you start chewing on your favorite silver chain, let’s take a look at this in greater detail and I will explain what I found!!
A Look Back in Time
Ever heard the phrase “Born with a Silver Spoon in his mouth”? I always thought this was about money and coming from wealth. Surprise, surprise this is not about money at all. It was a reference to the health of babies who were literally fed with silver spoons or sucked on silver pacifiers.
In the Early 18th Century those children fortunate enough to have the silver spoon lifestyle, literally, had greater health. Increased disease resistance and immunity. Clearly only the wealthy could afford this luxury and how the money stereo type became attached to this reference.
Prior to the silver spoon generations early settlers put silver coins in water barrels to keep the water purified. The Phoenicians before that crafted silver vessels to hold water, wine and vinegar. People long ago knew the power of silver in the fight against bacteria.
How does that relate to the medical practices of today?
Most Common Known Uses of Silver as a Natural Antibiotic Today
The one thing that I recognized silver as an ingredient in right away was burn cream. I think that is a pretty common known treatment for burns that has been around for many years. A few years ago, my husband suffered a pretty severe burn at work from boiling water. The cream that was prescribed for his wounds had silver in its ingredients.
I was surprised to learn then that it was a common treatment for burns as well as treatment for many other types of wounds and sterilization of some hospital equipment, including catheters.
If you know anything about burns you know they are dangerous wounds that breed infection! They are often very resistant to most common antiseptic and antibiotics. This made me think. “If silver is the trusted source of treating such critical skin injuries as burns there really must be something to this”.
I also learned along the way when discussing silver that many people did indeed know about its value as an antiseptic, and antibiotic. A neighbor told me about how it was long used in her household from everything from bug bites to fungal infections her husband uses on his big toe. My mother in law told me about using it for inner ear infections for her children.
In my household growing up, and with a grandmother very much into natural remedies, I was surprised silver was not something I had more experience with. Happy to learn about it now. I intend to try to implement it more in our naturally powerful plan. There are some cautions though, so make sure you follow through with this article and learn all you need to know!
Some Technical "Mambo Jumbo" About Silver
If you are looking for the easy to understand bits give this section a quick skip and I will meet you below…. Otherwise for my technical friends…
While I am certainly no Doctor, scientist or even a skilled chemist (although my daughter is) I can relate some technical jargon I have learned along the way in my research into silver as a natural antibiotic. If you are really into the technical details I encourage you to explore the reference material listed at the bottom of this article to satisfy your hunger for big words and deep knowledge!
Several ways silver impacts Bacteria and viruses
- Vibratory Frequency: Silver emits a high vibration that disrupts certain bad bacteria called anerobic bacteria+. It specifically targets this bacterium and does not harm the bodies beneficial bacteria, commonly known as pro-biotic bacteria.
- Catalytic Oxidation+: As the name implies Silver is a catalyst for oxygen. It holds these molecules naturally. These molecules react naturally with the outer coverings of virus and bacteria, called sulfhydral (H). In easy to understand terms (how I understand it) this oxidized silver molecules tend to suffocate the bacteria. Unable to “breathe” the bacteria die out.
- DNA Binding: Studies have shown that up to 12% of silver have been detected in Pseudomonas aeruginosa+, a type of bacteria. This demonstrates silvers ability to enter into the actual cell structure of bacteria and began destroying it from the inside out. It enters it and prevents it from growing and duplicating.
- Disrupting disulfide bond formation+: Silver acts as a reduction agent in bacteria that seems to break down the formation of proteins that contribute to their growth.
- Sensitizes Gram-Negative Bacteria+: A more dangerous type of bacteria that is often more resilient to modern antibiotics and treatment. This type of bacteria is usually covered in an outer membrane or slime that the human body has a hard time identifying and removing on its own. Silver has shown to weaken this type of bacteria and allow for medicinal antibiotics to be more effective in the treatment.
Now for Terms, Everyone Can Understand!!
So, what does this Mean to the Average Joe – Me
I am never any good with all that technical tid-bits even though I do consider myself a bit of an herb nerd. The value comes not from the big Words but the big values. So, what does this Silver really do anyway in a way anyone can understand!
- It shatters bad bacteria much like an opera singer can shatter a glass with a high note but leaves good bacteria unharmed! This is different then typical antibiotics. They do not discern, just destroy all.
- Suffocates bacteria and viruses by wrapping it up in vital oxygen our body uses but bacteria can not! Kind of like killing it with kindness… I like that!
- Sneaks right into the bacteria’s very core like a spy, undetected, and destroys it. I played the mission impossible music in my head as I wrote this *wink*.
- Stunts it’s growth by not allowing it to form the food it needs to live. Starvation diet for the bad stuff, I like it!
- Breaks down the shell of even the tough bacteria so that it can be treated more effectively. That’s superbugs folks!
Some Other Very Interesting Bits of Gold… I mean Silver
Nowhere to Hide!
Have you heard the phrase antibiotic resistant? I bet you have. It has become a pretty commonplace in the past 20 years with an antibiotic prescribed every time a person has a sniffle. Well, no problem with silver. There is no resistance or immunity known.
This is not purely internal, in fact external treatment is the origins of silver as a natural antibiotic and antiseptic. In the proper form silver has been used to treat a plethora of issues both internally and externally. Now is the time to take a look at some of the antibiotic power of silver.
Let’s look at a few:
- Ear Infections
- Pink Eye
- Herpes Inflammation
- Sinus infection and Cleanse
- Cold & Flu
- Strep infection
Wow, that really is a precious metal, right?
So, What is the Catch – Side Effects
I know, I know there is always a catch, right? Sure, there is bound to be side effects of some kind right or some type of warning. Well, first and foremost we are talking about alternative medicine here. You know medicine that is not in the realm of acceptable practice so… here is the typical warning! Medical Disclaimer.
Additionally, there is not enough scientific evidence to back the use of silver or any of its sub products such as Colloidal Silver etc. all as an effective treatment of anything or an antibiotic. We know it has been used, we see it has a history but there is not documented evidence.
Does this exclude it from effectiveness? I think when we are talking about alternative medicine, or natural treatment that is always up to you to decide. But do it with knowledge. Explore the reference material at the bottom of this article and discuss it with your Doctor.
Now let’s compare the side effects of Silver to your typically prescribed antibiotics.
Silver Potential Side effects
- Argyria – A condition when too much silver is consumed or used that can a blue-grey tinting of the skin, which may be permanent.
- FDA warned in 1999 that silver isn’t safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
- Silver can also cause poor absorption of some drugs including those to treat the thyroid.
- Avoid use If you are pregnant, nursing, unless under a doctor’s care.
Antibiotic Potential Side Effects
- Allergic Reaction
- Abdominal Pain
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Tooth Discoloration
- Vaginal Yeast Infections
- Increased Risk of Metabolic Disorders
- Adverse Impact on Immunity
- Mouth Sores, Ulcers, And Blisters
- Breathing Difficulty
Wrap it up with a Silver Bow
I think it pretty clear that the question of “is silver a natural antibiotic” is a CHOICE. What do you believe? For me it is a Yes. But, it is a cautionary yes as well. Personally, I believe that antibiotics, natural or otherwise are not a first choice at the sign of a sniffle but a treatment for a genuine illness that the body is having a hard time handling on its own.
So, for me I think I would rather grab a bottle of silver to treat an infection internal or external than a prescription of antibiotics each time I am ill. I prefer naturals! The idea of turning blue as a possible side effect, no thanks. That is not an issue when you are using it as a treatment not as a daily supplement. And with Caution! The risk of medicinal antibiotics also does not appeal to me!
I like that silver boosts the power of other antibiotics as well! Recently I suffered a resistance to antibiotics to treat a reoccurring throat infection. Had I known about silver then I may have saved myself a lot of struggle trying to find the right strength treatment to address this tricky bacterium!
A Product to Explore
I found a great product that can be used internally or externally. It is called Silver beSafe and it is produced by a company called Heart & Body Naturals. This is a company I know well. They have a standard of quality and excellence that I thrive for in a naturals business and products. All their products come from a cruelty free facility (no animal testing), organic, plant-based, gluten-free, non-GMO and gluten-free. Silver is not a plant, but this gives you an idea of their constant and assured quality standard
You can grab wholesale pricing every day from HBNaturals by signing up as an associate for free. Easy & Rewarding Naturals Business! Options on Click!
Comments Brighten My Day!
Hearing from you makes me Smile! Leave me a comment below. Your thoughts experiences or even a question. I want to know!
Scroll Down to the bottom and leave me your comment and get in on the conversations with other readers!
Always remember “Knowledge is the Power to a Better You, Better Health and Unlocking your Natural Power!”
Explore More: Knowledge is Power!
- A modern method of treatment: The role of silver dressings in promoting healing and preventing pathological scarring in patients with burn wounds: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5154321/
- Anaerobic bacteria: Source: Medline Plus: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003439.htm
- Catalytic Oxidation: Source: Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_oxidation
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomonas_aeruginosa
- Disulfide bond: Wikipedia :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfide
- Gram-Negative Bacteria: Wikibooks: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/School_Science/Gram_staining
- National Center of Complementary and Integrative Health: Colloidal Silver: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver
- Toxic Substances Portal – Silver: Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=538&tid=97